To set foot on 81 provinces of the Philippines has been on my bucketlist since 2012. It was also on that same year when I’ve realized that I would do anything to travel and experience amazing adventures!
That’s why I didn’t hesitate when I was offered a travel opportunity from Cebu Pacific to a secret destination for 3 days and 2 nights. I thought it will just be a travel exposure for a certain province, together with other bloggers, where we’ll have an arranged itinerary to follow. And the best part is, it would be an all-expense-paid trip!
But, three days before the scheduled flight, I was informed that each of us will be flown to different provinces which will only be revealed 4 hours before departure. The only preparation we had was to pack our bags and wait for the email. To up the challenge instead of the all-expense-paid trip, we were given Php 10,000 pocket money that we would use for our accommodation, food, transportation and recreational activities. It never occurred to me that it would be like the Blogger Edition of Cebu Pacific’s Juan for Fun Backpacker Challenge.
The only question I had in mind was, would I survive this kind of adVIENture?
Finally, the wait was over! Last March 27, a video was sent to my Facebook Page revealing my secret destination (I was wishing it would be to Cebu, Coron or Bohol ) and I’ll be flying to Tablas! To Tablas! I immediately researched if there are beaches in Tablas when questions starts coming on my mind:
“Where is Tablas? What province is it part of? Do they speak Tagalog?”
And for your information, Tablas is the largest island of Romblon province which is hailed as the The Marble Capital of the Philippines. (And they know how to speak Tagalog!)
As soon as I received the e-ticket, I went straight to the airport (Naia Terminal 4) and continue my research about the places I could visit in Tablas. But because I was anxious while waiting for my flight, I didn’t come up with any. I could ask the locals and trust their recommendation or go to their Tourism Office which I actually both did.
“I’m not lost, I just took the road less traveled.”
Here are the places I’ve been to and the things I’ve done during my solo backpacking in Tablas Island. Take a peek of its wonders that would make you book a flight.
- Busay Falls in Brgy. Tuburan, Odiongan
- Diwa Vista Point in Brgy. Gabawan, Odiongan
- Binucot Beach in Brgy. Bunsuran, Ferrol
- Looc Bay Refuge and Marine Sanctuary in Looc Port, Looc
- Aglicay Beach Resort in Brgy. Comod-om, Alcantara
During my trip in Tablas Island, I noticed each Rizal Monument in every municipal that I’d visited. It made me respect this province even more.
The Special Challenges:
- Try a local delicacy (2 points)
Odiongan was celebrating their 5th Coconut Food Festival last March 28 and I was lucky to get a taste of every dishes that was served that day. Here are some of the dishes that was cooked with coconut as the main ingredient.
- Go for a swim (3 points) (the more natural the water, the better)
Traveling and vacations won’t be complete without swimming and Romblon is filled with a lot of bodies of water.
- Ride four (4) different public transport (2 points)
- Take a sunset photo (3 points) (Your most creative shot in a famous landmark)
This was the only challenge that I didn’t accomplished but here’s how the sunset look like in Carabao Island.
Other places that you could visit in Tablas Island: (That I wasn’t able to due to time constraint.)
- Carabao Island in San Jose
- Tablas Point Resort in Santa Fe
- Paksi Cove in Calatrava
- Mablaran Falls in San Andres
- Footprints Beach Resort in San Andres
I hope you like my juan-of-a-kind experience as a blogger participant of Cebu Pacific’s Juan For Fun Backpacker Challenge 2017.
Calling all college students and fresh grads aged 18-23 years old, here’s your chance to be part of Cebu Pacific’s Juan For Fun Backpacker Challenge 2017!
Don’t worry, that wasn’t the real contest hence every Juan still have a chance to get their own adventure passport and be part of Juan For Fun Backpacker Challenge 2017:
- If you’re 18-23 years old college student for the S.Y 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 or a newly graduate of 2016-2017, form a team of three (3) members and sign up here.
- Then, upload a video answering the question “How can I share the FUN in Juan for Fun?” while featuring all the three members of the team.
- Each member of the winning team will receive a One-Year-Travel-All-You-Can Pass!
- Application period is from April 1 to May 15, 2017, 11:59 pm Philippine Time (PHT).
- For complete details and full mechanics, click here.
Don’t miss this Juans-in-a-lifetime adventure.
Don’t forget to follow them on Twitter and Instagram accounts @CebuPacificAir and also use the hashtags: #JuanForFun2017 #CEBtravels
Disclosure: I was chosen to be part of the Cebu Pacific Juan For Fun 2017 Backpacker Challenge campaign. Although this is a sponsored post, all opinions are objective and independent.
I would tell you more of what happened during my adVIENtures in Tablas Island on my next post!